Saturday, January 7, 2012

Saldo

Lots of people have asked me in the past how do I put up with all the tastings my job calls for. Now, in all honesty, I am not sure if "put up" is the right word for it, but I didn't know how to spell entice. You see, tastings are not what outside the business people imagine them to be. Sometimes, they start at 9am, and you have a hangover from the night before. Trust me 9 out of 10 times they are work and not pleasure. Plus, they use spittoons. Imagine that? Traveling for work, can sometimes be fun also, but God help you if you get back from an all-expenses paid trip to a winery, and you don't act like an Oompa Loompa right away, and focus the rest of your life on that one winery.
Another way to taste a whole new line at your own leisure is to change jobs. Or in my case relocate and change jobs. Most people in the industry change jobs based on salary, but some (in the long run, smart ones), do it based on portfolio. At my last job in New York, I had the chance of tasting (most cases enjoying) a really big French portfolio. When I moved to Dallas, I decided to pick a company with a crazy good American book. So, for the last three months, I have been working my way through their warehouse. And to my European trained palate's surprise I have found some big gems.
Saldo is one of them. What is Saldo? It is THE best zinfandel I have ever tasted. Made by David Phinney (who also makes Prisoner, another crazy good wine), of Orin Swift Cellars, Saldo wins points and accolades every year, from every magazine out there. He uses grapes from, pretty much all over California, but still manages to create an insane wine. Never met the guy, (wish I will, just to be able to say I shook his hand), but from what I hear he is a bit off the rocker himself. More power to him. If you check his website, it says "he is now developing his own vineyard for this project". I say, "Dave, leave it alone man! Others have tried to create a zin this good forever, if it's not broken, don't change it".
Open a bottle, and you will see what I'm blabbering about. There is no need to swirl, decant, light a fire, shoot a firecracker, or whatever it's "cool" to do to wine these days. The wine is ready, is luscious, it tastes like berries and plums, pepper and spice. Long finish, almost like a Port, oak and call me crazy, tobacco on the nose. It can be aged, but why? Drink it now, don't save it, I'm sure next year Dave will bottle another gem. 
Pairing? Beef. The bigger and bolder the better. T-bone on the grill, even a really good burger with a couple of slices of Vermont cheddar on it. And contrary to what I always preach about sharing wine with friends and family, not this time. Let them get their own. I am gonna eat my burger, drink it by MYSELF, have a cigar, then go try and explain my wife why she couldn't have any. At around $30, I think I might get another bottle.
I was told by another wine blogger, that I shouldn't tell you in advance what I'm gonna talk about next week. Supposedly, that's how you build a follower base, keep people in the air. Again, I call BULL. Next week Rocco Pinot Noir from Oregon. There, I said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment