Thursday, December 29, 2011

Bubbles...Again

After my last posting I had a couple of friends from the wine industry giving me hell. One of my Italian buddies wasn't very happy with the fact that I mentioned Prosecco briefly, and another (who's in the Burgundy business) asked me "dude, how about Cremant"? Get your own blog people!!!
I am only kidding, I take criticism well. Sometimes, just ask my wife. And I tip my hat when somebody corrects me with a valid argument. Cremant should be on everybody's list for the holiday. Made in Burgundy (hence the name Cremant de Bourgogne), it can be either white or rose and it varies from dry to sweet. Most Cremants are made using the traditional method of fermenting the wine in the bottle. There are about 6-7 types of grapes being used, but the only ones worth remembering are Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. 
One of the best I've ever had is the Simmonet-Febvre Brut. I have had the chance to drink this amazing wine quite a few times, and quite a few different vintages, and they always put out great product. It is a 60-40 combination of the two grapes mentioned, and I swear you taste both when you have a glass. It is also quite inexpensive, as sparkling (good) wines go, it shouldn't cost you more than $20 in the store.
Pairing? Well, this is where it gets a little tricky. The wines don't need food accompaniment. I kind like to pop one before dinner, with some nosh. Peanuts, maybe some cheeses or outside on the deck just hanging out. It is one of those bottles that should teach you the wine is made to be enjoyed anytime and anywhere, and you should not be afraid of it.
And how about Prosecco? Here is a good (got me drunk quite a few times) cocktail recipe. We've all had a Mojito. Take some limes, mint and sugar muddle together. Than, instead of filling up with rum and club soda, use Prosecco. Fill the glass up, drink, burp, refill. Recipe for good times.
So, hopefully I am now back on the good side of my two criticizing, ball-busting friends. Happy New Year  everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment