Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bordeaux Whites&Sauternes

When somebody mentions the word Bordeaux, most of us automatically think red wine. But there is more in the region than Merlot and Cabernet. Or is there?
I know people up in New York, that when reading the above sentence, will get mad, text me and curse me in French. The funny part about it is that I won't know why they are mad. Is it because I said there is more to Bordeaux than reds, or because I seem to doubt that. If I manage to ever figure that out, i will be sure and let you guys know.
So, what is a white Bordeaux? I think there should be a couple different categories. First, you have the usual crisp, concentrated wine made with Sauvignon Blanc. Then, and this category should be first since it is frigging awesome, you have Sauternes.
Sauternes is a sweet wine made from a combination of Semillon, Sauvignon Blanc and Muscadelle grapes. The unique thing about this wine is that the growers actually let the grapes rot on the vines. I am not going to bore you with how the rot happens, climate, fog and such, but I am going to tell you that if you never tried it, you are missing out. Big time.
Since Sauternes is made from shrunken grapes, it is very expensive to produce, and the wines are very expensive. The best, and most expensive is Chateau d'Yquem. They actually hold the record for the most expensive bottle of white wine ever sold, when an 1811 bottle sold for over $110.000.  Dior even  makes a skin cream from the d'Yquem grape skins.

What would you pair this amazing wine with? The best thing I can think of, is a really good chocolate cake, with a chocolate mousse topping and chocolate ganache (always wanted to use that word). There are other Sauternes out there, some of them quite affordable, but if you ever have a chance, especially if somebody else is footing the bill get a glass. You will not regret it.
And how about the rest of white Bordeaux wines? Who cares?
I think I spent enough time in Bordeaux and next week will be talking about Champagne. New Years Eve is fast approaching, damn this year went by fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment