Sunday, January 29, 2012

I miss Burgundy

I started this blog when I first moved to Dallas. Out of boredom, and because after going to wine shops/grocery stores in the area, I was completely dumbfounded by their selections. Row after row, stack after stack of California wines, some Italian and South American and not one Burgundy or Bordeaux in sight. I am not bashing wines (yes I am)  from the west coast, but where is my Burgundy?
At my last job in NY, I was lucky enough to work with, what I think is one the best. Louis Latour. I even spent a week in Beaune, working my way through their cellars, drinking, tasting, pairing and learning about Burgundy. Don't take me wrong, there are some wines that I am not crazy about, but there are some that everybody should drink at least once. Special occasions or not. And I am not even talking about crazy expensive stuff like La Tache or Montrachet, bottles that go for hundreds and thousands of dollars, I'm talking about your $20-$30 bottle. I'm talking about Marsannay and Santenay and other gems that everybody should drink every once in a while. Put them on the shelf people, they will sell.
Marsannay is a village and NOT a grape, as I've said it before the grape is Pinot Noir. Like any good Pinot, they  have nice earthy aromas, and taste like berries and cherries. Beautiful ruby red colour, a little mineral, all around, just a really good bottle of wine.
Pairing? I don't remember what they served in Burgundy with it, but I'm sure there was a lot of duck and cheese around. I like pork with it, on the grill with a little char, maybe some sweet peas, definitely some garlic. Cheese? Who cares?
In the last couple of weeks, I went off course a little bit and did not speak about what I told you I will. What can I say, I miss my Burgundy, and as you can see I have a little anger towards wine shops in Dallas.

No comments:

Post a Comment