Friday, May 11, 2012

Golf and Chablis

This time of the year there is always a big golf tournament on TV. Masters just passed, the PGA is on this week. The TV is 24/7 on the Golf Channel, the grill is hot, the wine is chilling in the fridge. Even my wife, who a few months ago had no interest whatsoever on the game, is glued to the action. The only ones who don't seem to care are Tucker our springer spaniel and Tiger.
What happened to this guy? He is the one who put golf back on TV, who all he had to do to win was show up. Lee Trevino put it the best on The Feherty Show: " he is the best ever at the game, why does he need to change things? Give me five minutes with the guy, all he needs is a good slapping around not a new swing". Me, just like other Tiger fans, I am left wondering what could have been, and drowning my sorrow in a glass of Chablis.
But then again, I can go for a good glass of Chablis any time of the year. What is Chablis? No, it's not that crap that comes in gallon jugs and it is used by restaurants for cooking. It is the name of a region, in the north of Burgundy, and the wine is a Chardonnay. A delicious, fruity, dry and acidic Chardonnay. It can be aged, but who has to time to? Open one now and drink it, you can thank me later.
A few days ago I tasted with a customer the Billaud-Simon 2010. Wow!!! I waited a week and took another sample out of the warehouse, cause I didn't want to share with anybody. As opposed to other Chablis I had in the past, this one was soft and round almost like a good Chassagne. It's mineral, which you expect from a good Chablis, but it tastes like peaches and pears with a crazy long finish.
Pairing? This is what I have planned for tonight. Dozen Blue Point oysters chilled and winking at me and a piece of trout which is heading for the grill in a little bit. A little salt, pepper, squeeze a lemon.Par for the course.
I hope Tiger can do that.
I got yelled at the other day by one of you guys cause I didn't write in a few weeks. I know and I apologize, hey! even Tiger missed a couple lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment