Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Barolo

As far as I'm concerned, they should change the name of this amazing wine to Liquid Crack. Or Liquido Cracko, whatever it's in Italian. I'm telling you, Italians don't know what they have in these bottles. I get a high every time I drink it, and I don't even have to shoot it up.
What is Barolo? It's made using this amazing little grape called Nebbiolo, grape that is also responsible for Barbaresco, Gattinara, and a whole slew of other amazing wines. Barolo is grown in the region of Piedmonte, particularly around the villages of Barolo (hence the name), and Alba. Never mind that it took a Frenchman named Louis Oudart, to develop the wine as we know it today. Oudart, who was hired by the Marchesa di Barolo, made such an amazing wine, that other producers followed his techniques, leading to the lush, earthy, spicy wine that we drink today. It is one of those rare, amazing wines that taste differently every time you take a sip.
The very first time I visited Italy, I went to Venice, and like every other lost tourist, I went to Piazza Dei Doggi, and sat down at the main cafe in the square. I ordered a $22 glass of red wine from the Romanian waiter(sic), and took a sip. Five  minutes later I found out the wine was Barolo and six minutes later, I decided that spending the rest of my life as a lawyer, is not gonna cut it for me. I moved to NY, became as a sommelier, and have been in the wine business ever since. They say that drug addicts look for that first high every time they shoot. Luckily, I get that high every time I take a sip of this amazing, moderately priced wine (except in Venice). The only difference is that I don't change careers anymore.
Every once in a while, you are gonna see on the labels things like Canubis, Serralunga and so forth. Screw it. Barolo is Barolo, and no matter which village or side of some hill it comes from, it's amazing every time. Don't let it intimidate you, buy the bottle and thank the Frenchman who taught Italians how to make good wine.
Pairing? If you have truffles, have them. If you don't, use truffle butter, truffle salt, truffle honey, truffle soap or truffle liquid detergent. Or anything that has to do with truffles. Or wild mushrooms. A big plate of grilled portobello mushrooms with a little garlic and parsley, a glass of Barolo and you might also change careers. At the very least you will become an addict. See you at Barolo Anonymous.
Next week? Grappa. I promise I won't skip another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment