Sunday, October 16, 2011

Washington State Pinot Noir

A couple of weeks ago, I was checking out a website called Washington Wine Report, written by, I believe a guy named Sean Sullivan. According to Sean, there are a few different grapes that thrive in Washington State: Merlot, Riesling, Syrah and  Cabernet Sauvignon. He claims that Pinot Noir is an elusive grape in this state, because of the weather. To make his argument, he quotes one of the dumbest sources I heard of in the wine industry: the movie Sideways. Really Sean?! Really?

I do agree that Sideways changed the wine industry, it changed the way people look at wine, particularly Pinot Noir. For a while after the movie came out, everybody was drinking Pinot, the sales went crazy across the country. I don't agree with Mr. Sullivan when he claims there is no good Pinot coming out of this state. I have tried in the past a few different vintages from Okanogan Estate, you might want to get yourself some Sean. It is really amazing, silky, with one of the longest finishes I ever encountered in a West Coast Pinot. If I'm not mistaken, they even won a couple of medals for their Pinot in San Francisco. Syncline is another one that should make everybody's list.

Oregon does eclipse Washington State when it comes to Pinot Noir, but what fun would wine be if we only drink the stuff that's on every store shelf? As far as I'm concerned, wine should be about discovering new things, training your palate, finding what YOU like best about it, and not what you are told to. Sure, on the road there you are going to drink some bad wine as well, but you will become more comfortable drinking wine, talking about it, and why not? even suggest it. Sometimes you hear a lot of industry insiders, talking about soil and sun exposure, pebbles and God knows what else. Wine, should be fun, from learning about it to drinking it and not about listening to experts that tell you what to and what not to drink.

So Sean, do your homework man. I am sure, I make a lot of mistakes as well, but I will NOT disregard Washington State Pinot Noir.

Pairing? The wines are silky and smooth, with a long finish. They are fruity, but I find they have an almost Cabernet-like finish. I've had grilled pork chops with them, and I also had fresh pasta with porcini mushrooms. Or, pork chops with porcini. Why not?

If you find a bottle in a store, get it. I guarantee you will not regret it.

Next week Barolo. My all time favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment