Monday, September 12, 2011

Introduction

After working in New York City as a sommelier for over 13 years, I decided to move to Dallas, my wife's hometown. In the beginning it seemed like a great idea. Big house, pool, lots of space. After living in a NY shoebox for all this years it looked like a great idea. Glass of wine by the pool, steak on the grill, suburbia.

Then, I went to a wine shop. It all came crushing down. You know how they say that everything is bigger in Texas? Well, this was the biggest wine shop I have ever seen. As big as a Wal-Mart. And just like Wal-Mart, full of stuff that I don't understand who spends money on. I mean, only big brands. And by big brands, I mean KJ, Simi, Jam Jar, Beringer and a whole section of labels with yellow kangaroos. Why buy this stuff? And who in his right mind, buys it over and over again? Really people?

Here is my first suggestion: don't buy the same bottle of wine twice a year. I don't care how much you like your Menage a Trois, stay away from it. Why spend your money on stuff that sucks? You don't have to max your credit card on a good bottle of wine. I won't name it just yet, but my all time most favourite bottle of cabernet costs $13.99 on the shelf. Expand your horizon, try something new all the time, especially stuff you never heard of before. Here's an idea, try something you can't pronounce. Why not? You would be surprised how many "wine experts" can't pronounce some of the labels. After all, if you take a wine course they won't teach you a foreign language.

Try a rose. Five years ago, stores couldn't give this stuff away, and now they can't keep it on the shelf. One of my favourite stores in NYC carried 52 different roses. Best part was that only 6 of them were from Loire. Try an Italian one, or even Spanish or South American. Most of the time, they will be less expensive and better. I am not bashing the French, they are masters at this craft, in fact, my first suggestion will be French.

If you buy a bottle of Italian wine, please DON'T buy Chianti. Stay away from Rufino and Santa Margherita. Get something different. Try a Morelino, a Vino Nobile and hey! if it's a special occasion (like Tuesday night dinner), get a bottle of Sagrantino. i guarantee you that next time you see a bottle of Rufino, you will walk across the aisle.

Here is a good one! Lately, a lot of people in the industry use the term "boutique wine". Don't let that scare you, all it means is that is produced by a small winery who only makes a few thousand bottles. So you can't find it at Wal-Mart, because then it won't be "boutiquee" anymore.

On my next posting, I will introduce you to a white gem from Burgundy. Pouilly Vinzelles. So much for KJ chardonnay.

No comments:

Post a Comment